Sunday, February 24, 2019

Tasting - CK Mondavi

Name: CK Mondavi Red Blend (Magnum)
Variety: Red blend - 55% Cabernet Sauvignon, 28% Merlot, 13% Petit Verdot, 3% Cabernet Franc, 1% Malbec
Region: Napa Valley
Country: California, USA
Year: 2015
Price: $20

Shop review: "Red Blend is their winemaker’s signature cuvee, an expression of five red varieties capturing the best of each vintage. It has the backbone of Cabernet Sauvignon, the finesse of Merlot, the structure of Petit Verdot, the floral essence of Cabernet Franc and the boldness of Malbec. This full-bodied wine offers flavors of black cherries and plums and ends in a soft, balanced finish."

My review: Sorry, Zoolander - this magnum wins! (I'll go home.) Going to lament for a second: this was my favorite wine I tried this week - and y'all know I normally hate dry reds - and I regret not purchasing it. Wah. A bold, intense, jammy aroma and flavor, with dried cranberries & cherries. Full-bodied, fairly dry yet smooth. I'd love to see what pairs well with this, but honestly I could enjoy it by itself. Don't make the same mistake I did and buy this vintage if you can!

I tasted this wine without food.

No comments:

Post a Comment