Sunday, February 24, 2019

Tasting - Annalisa

Name: Annalisa Malvasia di Castelnuovo Don Bosco Malvasia
Variety: Malvasia nera
Region: Asti
Country: Italy
Year: 2016
Price: $17

Shop review: "The perlage is fine and persistent. The color is pale pink, almost cherry. The aromatic scent is intense and reminiscent of wild berries, blueberries and wild strawberries. The flavor is sweet, slightly sparkling and full of berries. Since this is a sweet and aromatic wine is a classic to combine with fruit tarts and pastry. An ideal companion in moments of celebration, Malvasia is also a nice refreshing drink at any time of the day."

My review: This dessert wine is so shockingly sweet it's almost too much, and that's coming from someone with an enormous sweet tooth! Slightly fizzy, overwhelmingly sweet with fruity aromas and flavors of artificial red berries, strawberry jam, and red Twizzlers. Close to actual non-alcoholic grape juice - this is almost what I expected (or hoped) wine would taste like back when I first tried it. Yet to my surprise, although this wine is tasty it wasn't my favorite. Gasp. Is this character development?  (Maybe not, because I ended up buying it.) It didn't have the same complexity that the other wines did. This is definitely more of a "treat yourself" wine for me-time or a girls (or bros!!) night in, if that makes sense.

I tasted this wine without food.

No comments:

Post a Comment