Friday, March 1, 2019

Tasting - La Mascaronne

Name: La Mascaronne Vita Bella Cotes de Provence
Variety: Old vine Ugni-Blanc
Region: Provence
Country: France
Year: 2015
Price: $8.95

89 - Wine Enthusiast Review*: "With rich pear and apricot flavors, this is a blend of old-vine Ugni Blanc and Rolle. Ripe and full bodied, it is pointed up with spice that balances the fresh fruitiness. The wine, tangy and with a warm aftertaste, is ready to drink."

My review: Sadly I've been battling a cold, so please bear with me and my defective nose this week. Crisp, fruity aromas of apricot and citrus melt into a smooth, buttery finish that pleasantly surprised me. I wasn't sure how the term "buttery" could be used as a wine descriptor for a while (same with "pencil shavings"... not looking forward to that) but after trying this wine I get it, especially with the mouthfeel. Dry, full-bodied, pretty good.

I tasted this wine without food.
*For 2014 vintage

No comments:

Post a Comment