Wednesday, March 13, 2019

Tasting - El Vaiven

Name: El Vaiven Chardonnay
Variety: Chardonnay
Region: Maule Valley
Country: Chile
Year: 2017
Price: $6.99 regular

Vivino.com reviews*: "Straw color in the glass. Vanilla and alcohol nose. Taste is peach, pear and lemon. Oak note finish. Great with falafel"; "Very smooth with notes of mango. Excellent value and very refreshing. A nice summer sipping wine."

My review: I was extremely skeptical about this wine because 1) it's chardonnay and 2) I got it on sale for $2.99 at Lidl (Aldi's competitor). But I ended up enjoying it so much that I had to stop myself from finishing the bottle. Very fragrant, this wine has a strong bouquet of citric acid, pear, and lemon. Final tasting notes of toasted oak, butter, and nuts glide into a smooth finish. Turns out this wine really is a steal!

I tasted this wine with Kahlua pork, which helped bring out more of the fruity flavors, but I prefer it by itself. 

*for 2016 vintage

No comments:

Post a Comment